Another 30 Things That Make Me Happy

Once upon a time, bad news only existed in the newspapers and the evening news. Lately, bad news has a face that I recognise. I recently heard about a horrible incident involving an acquaintance. I was pretty ticked off at the futility and helplessness of the situation and I struggled to find the silver lining.

Anger clouded my attempts at positivity, but I was determined to crawl out of my foul mood. I revisited my 30 Things That Make Me Smile post and thought to myself – surely, there are more than 30 things in my life that make me happy???

Let me tell you, it wasn’t as easy as it was the first time around. I was in a pretty upbeat mood when I wrote that other post. Turns out, trying to be happy when severely pissed off is quite the challenge. I persevered though, and found myself giggling. Eventually.

*drum roll please*

1. The sound of my mother, sister and I laughing together.
  2. Reminiscing about my dad.
  3. Coconut trees.
  4. The perfect mango starch.
  5. Hugs from that guy whose smell intoxicates me.
  6. Kissing (I’m going to assume that this is on everybody’s feel-good list).
  7. Late night phone calls with that special someone.
  8. Goofy “wefies” with my people.
  9. Knowing that my people read my blog.
  10. The way my dogs greet me after I’ve been gone for a couple hours.
  11. The way my dogs carry on with their lives after the euphoria of not seeing me for a couple hours has dissipated.
  12. Idris Elba.
  13. That scene from Bruce Almighty where Bruce makes Evan Baxter spew gibberish. “…and my tiny little nipples went to France.”

1. Deadpool.
  2. The Golden Girls.
  3. A new toothbrush.
  4. Plucking strands of grey hair. One day, I won’t be able to get them all, but today is not that day!
  5. My tattoos.
  6. Photos of melted cheese. Cheesy_travelers on Instagram satisfies my cheese fetish.
  7. Jalapeño Chee Zees.

sunshine-snacks-jalapeno-chee-zees

1. Random compliments from strangers.
  2. Doling out compliments to strangers.
  3. Bath and Body Works’ Winter Candy Apple fine fragrance mist.
  4. Bikinis.
  5. Leggings.
  6. Getting to the next level on Candy Crush Soda Saga.
  7. My Santa Claus socks.

1. Hummingbird sightings.
  2. When the cashier doesn’t have change for my $100 bill and a woman I don’t know gives me the $5 that I need to complete my purchase. #truestory
  3. Hitting “publish” on a new blog post.

Here’s to you ALWAYS finding reasons to smile when you don’t feel much like smiling.

[via GIPHY]

1. noellekelly
    20th June 2017 / 4:07 pm

Reminding yourself what makes you happy is really important, especially with all the bad shit going down in the world. Bressie, an Irish pop star who struggled with mental health problems, spoke at our work and recommended quickly listing all the things you’re grateful for the minute you wake, really sets one up for the day!

• 20th June 2017 / 5:42 pm

Yes. If we go to bed being thankful and wake up with a spirit of gratitude, it really helps us in those moments when the bad stuff overwhelms us.

2. 18th June 2017 / 3:50 pm

Oh yes I’m with you with numbers 12, 19, 22 & 30.

• 18th June 2017 / 6:31 pm

Yay!!!!! And there’s even more Idris with the upcoming season of Luther!!!!

• 18th June 2017 / 6:28 pm

Luther will be back for another season!!!!

3. 18th June 2017 / 2:06 pm

I love this list! I really ought to post something like this!

• 18th June 2017 / 2:14 pm

Please do!! And thank you.

• 18th June 2017 / 5:18 pm

I was thinking the same thing! Your post made me giggle, too! It’s a great reminder that the little things really are the big things! 🙂

• 18th June 2017 / 6:31 pm

Well said! “The little things really are the big things!”

4. 18th June 2017 / 12:46 pm

I love that you write posts like this! It’s so important, especially when you’re feeling down, to practice gratitude and remember that there is always something good out there even when it seems all bad. I might copy this post idea from you for Mental Health Monday, maybe we can start a trend!

• 18th June 2017 / 12:51 pm

Thanks so much for your kind words. Please, steal the idea and spread the word! Regardless of how dark life gets, being thankful for just ONE little thing can turn things around in a moment. I hope that it will be useful to others who may be struggling with staying positive. 🙂

5. 18th June 2017 / 12:37 pm

Love this, too! Golden Girls. New blog posts. Wonderful stuff. Keep writing, please!

Lorna xox

• 18th June 2017 / 12:41 pm

Thanks so much for the encouragement, Lorna. Warms me up inside. I am thankful that the positivity I try to send out into the universe finds a home. 🙂

• 18th June 2017 / 12:19 pm

And hearing that makes me HAPPY! Thank you.

6. 18th June 2017 / 12:09 pm

Love this! A great thing to encourage others to take part in. I gotta do this!

• 18th June 2017 / 12:19 pm

Thanks so much, Gloria. We can never take our blessings for granted. Life is so much better when we seek out real joy and laughter. If you do this for your blog, be sure to let me know so that I can read and share what you’re happy for. 🙂