My Goals for 2017

Like a true procrastinator, my goals for 2017 are being submitted to the universe way past the customary New Year’s deadline. If I say I’m sorry that I’m this late, I’d be lying so let’s get right to it.

2016 was an interesting year for this reforming Type A personality. Ever since I fell in love with stationery, I’ve had notebooks full of plans and deadlines. It was not uncommon to see red scribbles of frustration next to plans yet unfulfilled (by the time God got to me in the production line, His bag of Patience must have been running low). I’d draw smiley faces next to and lines through the goals that I had accomplished on time, but my focus tended to be on those plans that seemingly forever eluded me. Admittedly, this was a pretty stressful way to live. I wasn’t very good at being in the moment or acting spontaneously.

I say “was” because on 9th December, 2016, I had a mini bonfire/vigil/happy dance, and page by page I burnt each notebook and vowed to be less stringent and more Bohemian (as my sis puts it) in my approach to life. As the embers flew around my feet, I felt utterly weightless. I haven’t totally abandoned my responsibilities to drift through life aimlessly, but man, I’ve loosened up. Considerably. So what’s the plan?

The embers that were once future plans.

I DON’T HAVE MUCH OF A PLAN!

That’s the awesome news. I don’t have much of a plan. In 2017, I will say “yes” more. “Yes” to outings and dinner parties and *cough* wedding invitations and other events where people congregate. As an introvert, my automatic response tends to be “no” but I’ve found that “yes” has not been as unpleasant as I’d imagined it would be. I still have to pace myself but it’s been worth it so far. I plan to say “yes” without overthinking it and just go with the flow.

The only other plan I have is to draw closer to God and be more in tune with His plans for me. I’ve done it my way for decades and quite frankly, I expected more at this stage so maybe it’s time to defer to His wisdom.

And that’s it. “Yes” and God. Yes to God!

How have your 2017 goals been shaping up so far?

1. 19th February 2017 / 11:51 pm

That’s funny, I’m an introvert too. The difference is I normally say yes or maybe to most invites, and then feel content with my little circle (or just myself) when it’s time to actually attend. I guess I think about how exhausting it will be to interact and explain what I’m doing with myself for the millionth time. I think the second goal is good enough and will take you far. It reminds me of a book I read called What Happens When Women Say Yes to God by Lysa TerKeurst. I promise, every time I read one of your posts, I feel like we must be related .

• 20th February 2017 / 10:39 pm

Social interaction is exhausting. I have to mentally prepare myself to mix and mingle. I’m going to have to look for that book. My to-read list grows daily! And that last line of your comment is what makes blogging most beneficial for me – the people I’ve met along the way who are part of my tribe. 🙂

2. 15th February 2017 / 5:19 pm

Sometimes the vague plans are easier! I’m planning to read 55 books this year, which means a book or two a week. I hadn’t really thought that through when I initially set that goal and I’ve only read one so far this year which means I’m 5 books behind schedule but I intend to do a lot of catching up at some point!

My to read this year is here: lauranap12.blogspot.com/2017/01/2017-books-to-read

• 15th February 2017 / 6:31 pm

55 books is quite the challenge! Hey, even if you only read 25 books this year, that would be an accomplishment! I had planned (vaguely, of course) to read one book a month…but with February half way out the door, doesn’t seem like that’ll happen either. Good luck!

• 15th February 2017 / 9:23 pm

Thanks! Last year I set a goal of 25 and surpassed it by reading 34. Honestly, my goal was to develop as much content as possible for blog posts and to clear off my bookshelves in my small apartment. When my Goodreads challenge tracker told me towards the end of January that I was 3 books behind schedule, I panicked because the first month of the year wasn’t even over yet! So that’s when I calculated what it really meant to read 55 books in a year. I think a minimum of 25 books this year is a good cushion.

Have you tried joining a book club? That may help with reading a book a month.

Also – I love your blog name!

• 15th February 2017 / 9:59 pm

Thanks re the blog name! I love elephants and mint tea. A book club or a reading challenge would put pressure on me that I don’t need right now. I am re-reading Jane Austen and the Bronte sisters in between new titles. I just finished a Ken Follett, and that was HEAVY, so I’m going to look for a cute, funny book as my next read. 🙂

3. 12th February 2017 / 6:28 pm

Simple plans are the best plans! Yes!

As for my 2017 goals, I’ll have to get back to you on that one. My main one was to be more tidy and organised…I still have until December to get that sorted, right?

• 12th February 2017 / 7:05 pm

Simplicity is everything! And yes, Em, you still have a wee bit of time to achieve your main goal. LOL!