Life as an Adult Picky Eater

The holidays are upon us and that means festive food and cocktails everywhere! For picky eaters such as myself, ‘tis the season to be constantly interrogated when attempting to politely refuse a dish or drink. I’m already practicing the many ways that I can say, “No, sorry, I don’t eat fruit cake…” and “None for me thanks. No, really. I don’t drink ponche-à-crème…” as I flail my hands in desperation to avoid them being shoved in my face.

Why are we so obsessed with each other’s dietary habits? Why are we so obsessed with what people eat in relation to their weight? And why is my mother still annoyed with my finicky eating after all these years?? She should know better by now (wuv you, mommy).

picky-eater-mint-tea-and-elephants

[Image via Pixabay]

Here are some of my culinary declarations which repeatedly cause people to convulse and fall into conniptions:

1. I only drink wine if it tastes like fruit juice. It’s okay if you think I’m not sophisticated.
  2. Nope, don’t have a sweet tooth. I don’t do caramel and nougat and candy. If it ain’t chocolate, I’d probably refuse it.
  3. I don’t eat vegetables if I can help it. Yes, I know they’re good for me. I’d exist on a diet of meat, potatoes and cheese if I could. Do potatoes qualify as vegetables? I’ll go with a “yes”.
  4. No, I don’t drink coffee. Never have. Never will. Yes, my parents were heavy coffee drinkers. No, I never acquired a taste for it.
  5. I know I’m eating this bacon like a dinosaur. No, I don’t put on weight easily. I wish I did, but that’s the luck of the draw.
  6. I don’t like the taste or smell of cinnamon.
  7. No, I’m not on a diet. I don’t eat rice unless I have no choice, or if it’s egg fried rice, but you aren’t serving egg fried rice on your menu so stop questioning me.
  8. Sushi? No, thanks. No, I don’t want to try it. I see it, and the answer is still “nah”.
  9. Soup is not a meal. It doesn’t matter what you put in it, I’ll be hungry in five minutes. Therefore, I do not enjoy soup.
  10. Oatmeal. Just NO. My parents gave up that struggle well before I turned six. Stop offering it to me at breakfast stations. I don’t like being in the same room with oatmeal. And guess what? My mom loves to put cinnamon in hers. Double whammy!

Does anybody out there understand my struggle? What’s the one thing you absolutely refuse to eat?

p.s. Don’t laugh. I had soup for lunch today. Yes, I was hungry five minutes later. Actually, I’m still hungry. Off to bake some potatoes. Ha ha!

1. 20th June 2017 / 1:40 pm

As a child, I was VERY picky but now I’ll give most things a go. Still won’t eat eggs though (unless they’re in a cake ) and yep, sushi is a no-go. I’ll drink coffee ONLY when on holiday, and ONLY a cappuccino with a million sugars…

• 20th June 2017 / 2:54 pm

I am a teeny bit better at trying new foods. Just a teeny bit. I LOVE EGGGGGSSSSSS!!!

2. 20th June 2017 / 10:16 am

I feel your pain, although I used to be much worse. My husband is the real picky eater in my house. When we first moved in together, I made him tacos, and he was like, “I don’t know if I’m going to like this…” (Taco Tuesday has been a staple in our house since.)

• 20th June 2017 / 11:31 am

Ha! He’s my kindred spirit. I say the same thing when people ask (beg) me to try something new. I always preface the first bite with “I dunno about this…”

3. 20th June 2017 / 9:30 am

I never think of myself as a picky eater, my boyfriend totally insists I am. I choose not to eat meat, but pretty much all seafood and fish I will go for. Most vegetables are cool with me too. Things I refuse are:
    1. Sweetcorn. Ugh.
    2. Coconut. Ugh
    3. Milk and cream…and most dishes including them. Ugh.
    4. Avocado. Ugh.

Not liking certain things is totally fine. I often wonder how these TV chefs do their job, when they have to try contestants efforts? How can you be objective towards that rice pudding when the very thought of it makes you bork?

• 20th June 2017 / 11:47 am

I love all things corn. And I love all things coconut. I’m iffy with milk and cream. Depends on the dish (cheesy macaroni needs a bit of milk to really make that cheese sauce gooey). I am, however, in total solidarity with you re avocado (we call it “zaboca” here). I cannot stand it, and it’s been like the miracle food for a few years running. It’s everywhere and in everything. My understanding is to be a chef you’ve got to eat everything on the planet, or at the very least, not throw up when you swallow something you don’t like. LOL

• 20th June 2017 / 1:08 pm

Well I learned something new…zaboca! You made me laugh, haha, it really is everywhere! I saw a picture on Insta yesterday from a beauty blogger. She had placed half an avocado/zaboca next to the beauty product in a flat lay…and it made me shudder

• 20th June 2017 / 2:52 pm

I saw a vid for avocado brownies and avocado ice cream. The apocalypse is near!!! *runs away*

4. 11th January 2017 / 3:27 pm

This cracked me up! I have to be honest – I am not a picky eater! But I have many friends who are and it drives me crazy when I hear people interrogate them about why! It’s like, well, why did you choose that outfit today then? I tell them they should fire away with questions like that right back. haha. And I totally agree – soup is SO not a meal. If I’m not feeling full after I eat it, then totally not a meal. lol

• 11th January 2017 / 9:09 pm

Answering questions with questions is always a good strategy! And yes, for a meal to qualify as a meal, I have to feel full. Soup does no such thing. Glad you enjoyed the post!

5. 30th December 2016 / 11:22 am

OMG it’s like you read my mind!! I’ve been a picky eater all my life but I do have a sweet tooth for sure. I’ve never understood how people like the taste of wine (or beer). But just this last year I’ve finally found a way to actually enjoy some veggies. I put them thru a juicer with cucumbers or lemons which deliciously mask the veggie flavors. Seriously do you have some secret mind reading quality?

• 30th December 2016 / 6:38 pm

I don’t like beer either! I told my mom I think I could probably drink veggies, really quickly. A glass a day. I should get serious about a juicer. We are kindred spirits!

6. 29th December 2016 / 1:40 am

Loved this post! I have finicky taste buds and an even more finicky tummy, add to that I’m a lactose intolerant vegetarian who is allergic to chocolate. I refuse to eat anything until I know its ingredients which tends to annoy the crap out of people. Also I have a very dulled sense of smell which means I care way more about food texture than I probably should, and the taste of salt makes me want to gag, but not as much as black olives. Also, do NOT ask me if something is spicy, because unless it requires a fire extinguisher or I’m crying, my answer will be a shrug. I could probably keep going….

• 29th December 2016 / 9:20 am

Your comment made me laugh! I could probably write ten more blog posts about my picky eating. I could go on and on… Thanks for reading!

7. 23rd December 2016 / 10:03 pm

That first gif 😀

I am gluten free, lactose intolerant and cannot have eggs, almonds or peanuts so am the most picky eater there is but sadly not by choice. I can always feel how much people think I am just being picky when I have no choice but to do so.

Also I am so glad that there exists someone else who hates coffee. I am not alone.

• 24th December 2016 / 10:12 am

Lol! The GIF made me laugh so hard that I had to include it. Yay, to coffee-haters! And yay to not having to explain to people why we don’t eat what we don’t eat!

8. 20th December 2016 / 1:02 pm

I’m like the exact opposite of you LOL. My confession is I hate fruit. I’m kind of embarrassed to admit it since I’m supposed to be some kind of crunchy groovy mom. But it’s not filling, it makes my nose and tonsils itch and it’s too sweet.

• 20th December 2016 / 2:26 pm

Sounds like you have a fruit allergy? I’m picky with fruit too. There are quite a few things that got left out of this blog post (lol). Thanks for stopping by.

9. theclutterboxblog
    19th December 2016 / 8:04 pm

I only drink wine if it tastes like fruit juice too! Potatoes are a vegetable

• 19th December 2016 / 8:22 pm

We are kindred spirits! Thanks for reading.

10. 19th December 2016 / 11:56 am

My boyfriend is the most picky eater ever. He sounds just like you actually. I’ve learned to be very understanding and accommodating of him and I hope people learn to be that way with you as well. Happy holidays!

• 19th December 2016 / 9:06 pm

I hope so too! Thanks for stopping by. Happy holidays to you and yours as well.

11. 17th December 2016 / 11:51 am

Aside from being a very picky eater I have Celiac disease so I can’t eat a lot of things. I wish people would stop trying to feed me! I’m a grown woman. If I want to eat, I know how to feed myself, thank you!
    Great post!

• 17th December 2016 / 11:57 am

Thanks for stopping by, Jeannie. Show the GIF in this post to the next person who tries to feed you and say, “This is how you’re making me feel.” lol

12. 17th December 2016 / 11:32 am

At least now I know that I’m not the only one that hates coffee. Lol. People look at me in such a weird way when say. I mean it’s the end of the world. Allow me to live.

• 17th December 2016 / 11:55 am

Hahaha! You would think we were alien life forms because we don’t drink coffee! I am so happy to meet people who feel the same way. Thanks for reading.

13. 16th December 2016 / 6:05 pm

LOL! Love it. That food being thrown in her face is hilarious. After just recently quitting being a pescatarian for four and a half years, I know the feeling. I got the side eye about turning down certain foods all the time, especially from family. I don’t drink coffee either, and all of my alcohol must taste like fruit juice. I REFUSE to eat lima beans or pinto beans.

• 16th December 2016 / 6:50 pm

I am not a fan of beans either (my list is really long. LOL)! Only began eating black beans this year. However, lima beans and I are NEVER meant to be. I don’t like how they look raw or cooked!

14. 15th December 2016 / 8:23 am

It’s as if you took that list from my mind (except I don’t eat meat at all….) Christmas can be a nightmare! Here’s to us picky eaters though, we’re not alone in the struggle to eat what we like!

• Melissa
      15th December 2016 / 9:50 am

Picky eaters unite! I’ve found my tribe!

15. 15th December 2016 / 6:38 am

Haha, I get your struggle, I am a sweet tooth and no vegetables person… and every holiday my parents keep insisting, “why don’t you try the vegetables” *sigh*

• Melissa
      15th December 2016 / 9:49 am

I’m so happy to have found you! I sometimes end up chewing a vegetable side dish like a cow. I keep chewing and chewing and can never get it to go down. LOL!