30 Things That Make Me Smile

palmiste-park-mint-tea-and-elephants

Palmiste Park, San Fernando, Trinidad and Tobago. Hoping to spend another day here soon.

Keeping up with the news makes it harder and harder to smile these days. Over the last few weeks I’ve been deliberately seeking out good news that would drown out the bad. I prefer to feel positive, cheerful, and hopeful. This is the one chance that I have to be Melissa in this life so I can’t fill up my precious moments with doom and gloom. Every day I opt to enjoy more of what makes me excited to be alive.

Since Happy Fridays are about, well, happiness, I decided to share with you a random list of 30 things that make me smile.

1. A great book.
  2. Tea. Mint tea with honey being my absolute favourite.
  3. Tea and a great book.
  4. Tea and a great book on a rainy day.
  5. Zucchini bread.
  6. No pants.
  7. Cuddling.
  8. Cuddling when it’s raining.
  9. Long drives at midnight.
  10. Green spaces. Parks, my bushy back yard, the rainforest. Technically, my yard qualifies as a rainforest these days thanks to the rainy season.
  11. Unexpected kindness from strangers.
  12. Chocolate anything.
  13. Stationery. I get high off the smell of new pens and markers and notebooks and brightly coloured Post-It notes.
  14. Blue sky decorated with brilliantly white cotton candy clouds.
  15. The night sky. The moon and the stars speak of infinitely divine possibilities.
  16. The beach.
  17. Elephants, dogs, iguanas, birds, squirrels…pretty much any critter that moves.
  18. The smell of fresh paint.
  19. Stuffed toys.
  20. A new haircut.
  21. Fried anything. I swear, oil is the elixir of the gods.
  22. The Sound of Music.
  23. The time spent in my head when I’m on an airplane.
  24. Smart men who are cute.
  25. Driving when there’s no traffic.
  26. Anything Jane Austen.
  27. Handwritten notes.
  28. Alan Rickman’s voice.
  29. Potato chips.
  30. Knowing that God is with me and for me. Always.

I hope reading that made you smile, chuckle, or laugh like a hyena.

What do you do when you need to get out of a funk and put a smile on your face?

p.s. Here’s a bonus pic of an iguana that we found lounging around the house one time. Dad was able to catch it and release it onto a coconut tree.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

1. 6th February 2017 / 4:41 am

I too love the smell of new stationary and books 🙂

2. 13th December 2016 / 11:41 pm

hearing my kids laugh always makes me smile! What a great blog idea!

13th December 2016 / 11:54 pm

Have fun creating your own list of things that make you smile.

3. Jenni Petrey
    1st December 2016 / 8:28 am

Oh my goodness, that is such a wonderful list. I started making a list of things that made me smile this week. There are so many!

1st December 2016 / 12:31 pm

That’s what happens when we start making an effort to focus on the good stuff. We realize there’s so much other great stuff that we love! 🙂

29th November 2016 / 7:46 pm

You’re most welcome. Thanks for stopping by my little blog.

4. 29th November 2016 / 2:57 pm

I love your attitude!! That is so wonderful – and refreshing! – that you are deliberately seeking out things that make you happy. If everyone did this, the world would be a much better place. I did a similar exercise on my blog several months ago. Just the act of writing out my list put me in a better mood!
    Your list made me smile. 🙂 I could relate to several items, especially #1. The “no pants” one made me laugh out loud, though. 😉 Very fun to read through!

29th November 2016 / 7:45 pm

Lol! There’s a perpetual “no pants” law in these parts. Thanks for your wonderful comment! Appreciated.

5. 29th November 2016 / 2:56 pm

I love this post. In this day and age, it’s so good to hear some of the things we love. I especially like #1, #12, and #30.

29th November 2016 / 7:44 pm

Thanks for the love. I prefer to focus on the positive and make a choice to be happy even when I don’t feel like it. Can’t stay in a funk for too long.

6. 29th November 2016 / 1:59 pm

I absolutely love this post! I love so many of these, but for starters, #10, #12 makes me think we are BFF’s (lol), I’m dreaming of #16 right now with a drink in my hand, #20 is the best feeling ever although I don’t do it often enough, #21 – again, BFF’s, ha! And #30-sisters in the Lord! xoxo

29th November 2016 / 2:36 pm

I’m glad that you enjoyed the post. It’s great to meet other people who find joy in the same things I do. Makes the world seem cozier.

29th November 2016 / 12:37 pm

He was a blessing!

7. Connie Tillman
    29th November 2016 / 11:50 am

Oh my gosh. I love zucchini bread – and I just got a new hair cut 🙂 I love this 🙂

29th November 2016 / 12:36 pm

Zucchini bread is one of those awesome baked goodies that you can give as a gift too! Have you ever tried shaving your hair off? Now, that’s the ultimate hair cut.

8. 28th November 2016 / 5:55 pm

Great post. I’ve made one that was 21 things that made me happy. I enjoy reading posts like this. Omg zucchini bread + chocolate is a good combination !

I also love elephants and Jane Austen too!

Lauren

29th November 2016 / 12:01 am

Thanks, Lauren. I’ll have a look at your post. I have yet to try the zucchini bread with chocolate recipe that I found on allrecipes…maybe I should get on that.

9. 28th November 2016 / 12:51 pm

Ah, what a lovely post. So many people just moan all the time now on social media, it’s nice to read something positive!

28th November 2016 / 11:59 pm

Thanks, Cathy! I firmly believe that we’ve got to focus more on what brings us joy. The negativity sucks the life out of living.

10. pj
    26th November 2016 / 4:02 pm

I have a gratitude journal where I list what I’m grateful for, but your post has kinda inspired me to have a ‘smile’ journal, because it’s truly important to smile and feel happy and content in that moment no matter what! JanD

26th November 2016 / 5:40 pm

Thanks for reading and commenting, PJ. Yes, I’ve found that being thankful is very useful when life gets rough, but my ability to laugh in spite of even the darkest times is what keeps me afloat.

11. 26th November 2016 / 1:30 pm

I love this post so much! Alan Rickman’s voice <3 You really ahve such beautiful things in this post and I can agree with so many of them. Thank you for sharing x

26th November 2016 / 1:49 pm

Thanks so much for your feedback, Kristy. I re-watched Sense and Sensibility very recently just to see Alan as Colonel Brandon (swoon). I miss that he doesn’t walk among us any more.

12. 25th November 2016 / 12:25 pm

I love cuddling with a book! My favorite is Harry Potter!

25th November 2016 / 5:26 pm

My favourite is Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. Actually, any of her books would suffice.