Keeping up with the news makes it harder and harder to smile these days. Over the last few weeks I’ve been deliberately seeking out good news that would drown out the bad. I prefer to feel positive, cheerful, and hopeful. This is the one chance that I have to be Melissa in this life so I can’t fill up my precious moments with doom and gloom. Every day I opt to enjoy more of what makes me excited to be alive.
Since Happy Fridays are about, well, happiness, I decided to share with you a random list of 30 things that make me smile.
- A great book.
- Tea. Mint tea with honey being my absolute favourite.
- Tea and a great book.
- Tea and a great book on a rainy day.
- Zucchini bread.
- No pants.
- Cuddling when it’s raining.
- Long drives at midnight.
- Green spaces. Parks, my bushy back yard, the rainforest. Technically, my yard qualifies as a rainforest these days thanks to the rainy season.
- Unexpected kindness from strangers.
- Chocolate anything.
- Stationery. I get high off the smell of new pens and markers and notebooks and brightly coloured Post-It notes.
- Blue sky decorated with brilliantly white cotton candy clouds.
- The night sky. The moon and the stars speak of infinitely divine possibilities.
- The beach.
- Elephants, dogs, iguanas, birds, squirrels…pretty much any critter that moves.
- The smell of fresh paint.
- Stuffed toys.
- A new haircut.
- Fried anything. I swear, oil is the elixir of the gods.
- The Sound of Music.
- The time spent in my head when I’m on an airplane.
- Smart men who are cute.
- Driving when there’s no traffic.
- Anything Jane Austen.
- Handwritten notes.
- Alan Rickman’s voice.
- Potato chips.
- Knowing that God is with me and for me. Always.
I hope reading that made you smile, chuckle, or laugh like a hyena.
What do you do when you need to get out of a funk and put a smile on your face?
p.s. Here’s a bonus pic of an iguana that we found lounging around the house one time. Dad was able to catch it and release it onto a coconut tree.